Friday, October 10, 2008

Lucky Benji!

First let me tell you about Benji. He is a rescue dog. We've had him for about two months. In the beginning he was very shy and would bark at men. I believe he was abused before he was picked up by the animal shelter as a stray. Since we got him, his personality has really blossomed. He does lots of things he didn't do two months ago like chasing thrown toys and bringing them back, following me around the house, and even approaching Dwight. Well yesterday, as the kids were leaving for school, he ran out the front door and started prancing around. He ran out into the street just as a cement truck was coming up the street and got hit. Dwight came in the house and told me that Benji was dead. Joseph brought Benji to the front porch. His legs were stiff and he wasn't breathing. Joseph and I (in my pj's and barefeet) got Benji into the car and took off to the vet. I told Joseph to start pushing on his chest and to keep him warm. I glanced back at him and just knew he wouldn't make it. Then I glanced back and I saw his eye blink. I told Joseph to keep pumping his chest and rubbing him and talking to him. He started breathing before we got to the vet...less than 5 minutes from our house, but he kept coming in and out of consciousness. By the time the vet got there and looked at him, Benji was responding to noises and looked much better. The vet looked at Benji and said, "You are one lucky dog!" The pics are of Benji at the animal hospital. You can see blood on his leg that dripped from his nose...his only external injury. After taking on a cement truck, I'd say he's lucky! When we got him home he was a little wobbly on his feet and very sleepy...partly from the pain medicine he was given. Today he's starting to act a little more like himself although he's sleeping a lot more. We are all so glad Benji is still part of our family....even Dwight....and that's really saying something.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The vision of a cement truck and a little dog - yikes! Glad he is okay.

Tami